Sunday, February 15, 2009

Top and Bottom of 2008 - #7

Best
The King of Kong (2007)
I have played a little bit of Donkey Kong, and it is hard and frustrating. So I was intrigued when I heard about a film that chronicles two men: the Donkey Kong high score record holder, and the man out to beat that score. While it did not give me any enlightening tips on how to beat the game, the film does provides an interesting look into the world of competitive gaming and ranks high on the nostalgia factor, featuring many old-school arcade games. But the film is even more than that, providing heroes, villains, and many who we’re not sure what side they’re on, and thrilling the whole way through. And as an added bonus, as the credits roll, we are treated to clips chronicling the evolution of video games from the earliest arcade games to the most recent, state of the art console games.

Worst
I Know Who Killed Me (2007)
This is an ugly movie with a "surprise twist" that is more like a bad Twilight Zone episode that has absolutely no redeeming value that I can think of.

Coming up next: films that are dirty and mean.

No comments: